Thursday, February 10

My Dream Job

After such a wonderful day yesterday with the seniors and blogging about how fortunate I am to love my job, I was thinking about MY dream job "if I could do anything in the whole wide world, and money, benefits, retirement,  or medical insurance weren't an object."  What would I do?  I'm not sure you would guess.
I think some would guess that I would be a photographer.  Some would think I would be a style and trend coordinator for Vera Bradley.  Some would think that I would be a Zumba instructor.  Some would think I would be a party planner or a professional organizer or a jewelry designer or one of those food taste testers.  But, you would be wrong.
If I could do ANYTHING, and know I would be successful and NEVER have to worry about money and such.....I would be an organic fruit and vegetable farmer.  I would grow the best produce.  And, I would trade it for other goods or services.  I would trade tomatoes for some free- range chickens.  I would trade apples for work on my tractor.  I would trade squash for a new dress.  Yes, I would farm in a dress with leggings!
Do you realize people used to live like this?  A life without the constant trade of money from one hand to another.  That is a dream to me!
I love the thought of letting produce ripen on the vine until it's ready to pick- increasing it's nutritional value.  I love the thought of carrying a bucket to a garden and collecting nature's sweet goods.  I love the thought of surprising my neighbor with a basket of produce on their porch.  I love the thought of watching a plant grow from a seed and go on to produce food.  That is just so cool to me!
Don't get me wrong, I love being the Wellness Coordinator and spending my time with old folks.  But, it's good to think about things like this! 
If I am ever an organic fruit and vegetable farmer, I will definetly be certified by USDA and accept vouchers from seniors who sign up to be in the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program.  That program is so rewarding!  For now, I'll let Mrs. Darquitta have my dream job!
I also think I would be a fabulous princess!  But, I'll save my thoughts on that for another day.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard once that in parts of Alaska that is how people live...is by bartering...that is a pretty neat concept...although it got some Ohio State football players in trouble. I can see you being little Farmer Fran...but I can never see you leaving your present job! You are too good ( great ) at it and you would break too many hearts! Momma...gotta get me an identity or remember my password!