Wednesday, March 16

Parallels

I grew up in Uniontown, a small town.  A place where everyone knows everyone and watches out for each other.  I lived in the country.  The sun rose in the front of our house and set in the back of our house.  Behind our house was a slough and woods behind and around it.  We had a detached garage that housed Bobby's tools and his treasured BMW.  We lived just down the road from a hog farm.  And, when the wind blew just right (or wrong) we could smell it.  Hog farmers say it smell like money.  We weren't hog farmers.

Photo taken:  July 2006
Today, I live in Baxley, a small town.  A place where everyone knows everyone and watches out for each other.  I live in the country.  The sun rises on the front right corner of my house and sets in the back left corner of my house.  Behind my house is a pond with woods behind and around it.  We have a (detached) shop that houses Blake's tools and his treasured tractor and zero-turn radius mower.  We live just down the road from a chicken farm.  And, when the wind blows just right (or wrong), we can smell it.  We aren't chicken farmers either.
These parallels are what make Baxley feel like home, like I've been here all my life.

Photo Taken:  February 2011
Growing up, Momma and Bobby planted different kinds of trees in our yard.  Each year, they added more.  Blake and I do the same thing.  We've probably planted twenty five trees on our property.  Our goal is to have a "Kentucky Fall" (trees that change color in the fall).  It is what I miss most about Kentucky.  And, after looking at the picture of my Uniontown house, I remember just how green Kentucky is in the summer.  We just don't have that pretty green down here.  Our green is kinda brown.
One thing is missing (besides the in-ground pool- but, that will come).  I'll get sappy for just one second and say:  my family is missing!  We are strewn about and I wish it were easier for us to get together.   So, y'all move south now, ya hear!

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Excellent! I respect and love you unconditionally.

Anonymous said...

Makes me homesick for home, 5 kids and all their friends and all the cats and dogs we used to have! Momma