Monday, February 21

My Boy

He is a boy, through and through!  He is rough and loud and rambunctious.  He loves playing sports and video games. His favorite possession is his bb gun.  He dreams of having a twenty-two rifle so he can go squirrel huntin' with his cousin Connor.  He is competitive and fully expects to win. He looks up to his Daddy and wants to be just like him.  He is onery and mischievious.  He flexes his muscles and wants you to see how strong he is and show you that his muscles have gotten bigger since the day before.  He doesn't like to do as he is told and as he gets older, he expresses his opinion more and more.  He likes laborious work and earning money for doing it.  He can be wild, but not in an out-of-control way...just in a....boy way!

Today, I signed him up for a wrestling clinic that is put on by the high school wrestling team as a fund raiser.  He weighed in at 50.2 lbs.  He wrestled for the first time last year.  He was in a group with boys who had done it the year before.  He was a bit unsure and sorda pissed that winning wasn't coming easy to him.  He is determined to be #1 this year.  He can't wait to see who is in his group so he can let them know "they're going down!"  That's my boy!
He hopes to go to the University of Georgia for college (where he will study to be a vet).  While he is there, he wants to play football for the Bulldawgs!  I tell him that he can do it, but he has to be the kicker or the bench warmer. 
If he doesn't go to UGA on a sport scholarship, I have no doubt that he will go on an academic scholarship.  He has a desire to learn and a drive to be the best.  He already talks about being first in his class.  He is in kindergarten.  He just learned to read and he loves it.  He is reading "pink labels" which is 2nd grade level books.  He has beautiful penmanship and colors perfectly in the lines.  He takes pride in his schoolwork.  He makes me so proud!
All that boy stuff grates on my nerves.  I think I am better equipped to handle diva attitude more than I am able to deal with rambunctious and loud.  All that running and bouncing around makes me nervous.  When the boys get together and tussel, I just want it to stop.
Even though my boy is a typical boy, he is an extraordinary one!  He has a side to him that only the lucky ones get to see!  He is sweet and cuddley and kind.  He is empathetic.  He is a big helper.   He is loyal.  He wears his heart on his sleeve.  He loves his family.  He sneaks into my bed in the middle of the night and puts his arm around my chest.  He loves animals.  He worries about people when they are sick or sad.  He has his Daddy's cell phone number memorized and calls him whenever he can to see how his day is going and when he will be home. He writes notes to the people he loves to tell them just that.
I'm so blessed to get to be his Momma.  I dread the day when his sweet soul is affected in a negative way by the real world.  I just want to lock him up and protect him forever.  I can't imagine the pain I will feel in my heart when someone breaks his.  I love this boy so much!
His sister is quite fond of him too!  Even if he does pick on her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and I'm so blessed to be his Grandma! He is everything you described him as...and more! You were trying to be humble!! Love you! Momma